We lived out Calvary’s Mission Statement of God’s heart, our Hands
50 teenagers, young adults and young-at-heart adults spent a week in the colonia of El Cenizo, where we left part of our hearts! It was a week that as we clamored to be in the “cool room” or near a fan, we were humbled by these children that had no air conditioning in their homes…. It was a week that the early mornings didn’t even seem early when we saw the smiles of the local children…. It was a week that teenagers who started off as acquaintances, left as friends….. It was a week that the adults who were on the traveling team swelled with pride at the hard work of their teenage partners in ministry…. It was a good week!
- a community garden was prepared for the local residents! The day camp children came on the last day to help finish weeding and to plant seeds in some of the beds!
- A playground was built and the smiles and laughter filled that once empty space at the church!
- Repairs were made in the 30 year old trailers that serve as a fellowship hall, Sunday school classes and a food pantry!
- Children came from throughout the colonia to learn about God and to be loved by their wonderful counselors. The children just beamed at the attention given to them by the Calvary teens!
- Families painted bookshelves together, received a Bible, a “What To Do When Your Child Gets Sick” book and lots of storybooks!
- Sports and snowcones in the evenings unified a community and broke all language barriers with bats and balls and even a guitar.
THANK YOU. . .
To our leadership team & mentors
who planned this week and made it happen, the adult participants who traveled to El Cenizo to work side by side with our teens, our parents for all their love and support and to the family of Calvary Lutheran Church. The financial support, the prayers and the praise for a job well done were truly gifts that our young people received. Thank you for setting a Christian example through your words and actions….
To the YOUTH of CALVARY:
You are simply amazing!
Your sweat, hard work and loving attitude were inspirational to us all!
Read mission trip participant memories...