- Friday, August 10th: Project night and Quilting Day: Join us for a relaxed work night. Bring a personal project or work on any WELCA project. We will begin at 6 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall with a shared light potluck supper.
- Saturday, August 11th: The LWR quilters will meet in the Fellowship Hall from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., with a break for a potluck lunch. We need people to iron fabric, cut and sew squares, and tie quilt layers together. Come and enjoy the fellowship as we work. Bring a sack lunch or food to share, with beverages being provided. Come and go as you need. Any time you have is greatly appreciated.
- Saturday, August 18th: 2nd Summer Special Projects Day: Please join us as we continue to cut and sew Christmas stockings for the Salvation Army and School Kit/backpack bags for Lutheran World Relief. Military Quilters, Yarn Winders, Happy Hookers, and Scrapbookers, are again invited to come and join us. Please bring some food to share for lunch with beverages being provided.
Special Help: We could use help sewing bags for School Kits. Call Kathy Pedersen at 817-581-3845 if you'd like to help sew these at home, and we'll get you started with directions and a finished sample. They are all cut out and ready to sew.
WELCA Notice Board- Please see the new notice board/display in the Fellowship Hall for additional information. We plan on continuing to improve this display so that the congregation can follow our achievements and activities.
- JPS Hospital: 7 books and 14 personal care kits for women.
- Presbyterian Night Shelter: 2 lbs. of assorted toiletries, 1 iron, 3 pairs of women’s shoes, 1 styling iron, 4 bath towels, 3 hand towels, 1 wash cloth, and 1 woman’s sweater.
- Verizon: Numerous cell phones
- Lions Club: Numerous eyeglasses
Thank you for your continued donations. Thank you for blessing others!
- *School Supplies for LWR: School supplies are NOW on sale. These supplies will be needed to fill the School Kits that we are sewing. Please see a purse-size list describing the needed items located on the WELCA display stand in the hallway. Walmart, Kroger and Dollar Tree have some great buys. If you do not have time to shop, please consider donating money to buy the items we will need.
- LWR: Flat bed Sheets-new or in good condition.
- Military Quilters: Red, white or blue solid or print fabrics.
- JPS and PNS: Unopened motel –size and full size toiletries, magazines and books.
WELCA Meeting on Break
Our WELCA monthly meetings are on break for the summer. Make plans to join us at our next meeting on Tuesday, September 18th at 7pm in Room #2.
RETREATS AND CONVENTIONS
- SATURDAY, AUGUST 11, 2018
Annual Women’s/Girls Retreat in Grand Prairie
Theme: Breathing Prayer
Pastor/ Chaplain Suzanne Guinn (Calvary member Doug Guinn’s sister) will be teaching a spiritual practice that involves deep breathing, welcoming unwelcome emotions, and breathing out compassion.
Please see page 7 of this Caller for more details.
- SEPTEMBER 14 - SEPTEMBER 15, 2018
WELCA Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast SWO Convention
House of Prayer Lutheran Church
14045 Space Center Blvd, Houston, TX 77062
Scholarships for Lutheran Laywomen studying for a career other than ordained ministry.
- The Arne Administrative Scholarship provides assistance to women interested in reaching the top of their field as administrators. The additional education may be pursued through full-time school attendance, night courses, or summer sessions.
- The Schmieder Leadership Scholarship provides assistance to women administrators and faculty at ELCA colleges and seminaries who wish to participate in leadership training and management training institutes.
- The Amelia Kemp Scholarship provides assistance to ELCA women of color in undergraduate, graduate, professional, or vocational courses of study.
- The Belmer, Kahler, Vickers/Raup Funds provide assistance to women preparing for ELCA service abroad, either in general or in health professions.
- The Irene Drinkall Franke, Mary Seeley Knudstrup Funds provide assistance to women as they take graduate courses preparing them for occupations in Christian service.