Phil's "even better than mom's" Meatloaf
Start with your memories of Mom's Meatloaf and the stuff you know must have been in there like ground beef
Add some other stuff you think was in there like bread crumbs and an egg and some kind of tomato sauce
- Get it wrong a bunch of times
- Give up when you think you're close
- Call Mom and ask for the recipe
2 lb. Lean ground beef
1 lb. Pork sausage
1 small box Caesar croutons - ground to powder
4 Tomatoes - peeled, seeded, chopped
1 small onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
4 Tbsp. butter
Some fresh oregano
Some fresh basil
Some fresh parsley
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
Splash of Worchester sauce
2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
- In saucepan melt butter over medium heat
- Add onion and garlic - cook until tender - do not brown.
- Add tomatoes and herbs.
- Mix well, cover and simmer for 15 - 20 min.
- Mix beef and pork. Add egg and bread crumbs mix well. Set aside.
- Remove saucepan from heat and let cool.
- Process until smooth and add to meat mixture. Mix well
- Form into loafs. - makes 3 + loaves.
- Bake at 350 for an hour
- At 50 min top with sauce and bake until done.