Pastor Phil’s Pear and Boursin® Cheese Salad
Once again I’m taking a café salad recipe that is made in a bus tub and scaling it down to salad for six, although according to the crowd last night you might want to make a tub of this stuff. Van Van Westen, a café regular, came into the kitchen to say it was the best thing on the menu and this on a night when we served my Four Fruit Glazed Ham! Cathy Allen, our salad chef, layers the salad before mixing to make sure the candied walnuts are evenly distributed and everyone gets at least one! We don’t want any fights in the fellowship hall. Enjoy.
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce – chopped
- 1 bag mixed baby field greens
- 1 small bunch of grapes - cut in half
- 2 Pears – cored and diced
- 1 package Ocean Spray® Cranraisins
- 1 round Boursin® Cheese - diced
- Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette
- Candied Walnuts – recipe follows
Layer ingredients, drizzle with dressing, mix and serve
Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 garlic cloves – minced
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon Style mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
Put vinegar, honey, basil, and garlic in a food processor. With processor on add olive oil in steady stream until emulsified. (Fancy culinary term for mixed well) season with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 1 package walnut halves
- Kosher salt
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread walnuts out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 5 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan on a rack
- Pour sugar into a medium saucepan with a thick bottom
- Cook sugar on medium heat until sugar is melted, adding a little water at a time to make syrup
- Add walnuts, quickly stirring and coating each piece with the sugar mixture
- Remove and spread out on a baking sheet, with wax paper or parchment paper
- Sprinkle the nuts with the salt. Let cool completely.